Saturday, February 26, 2005

The price of Internet fame

I saw the "Numa Numa" video thingie last week. I thought it was kinda cute but not so entertaining that I felt compelled to send it to anyone. (But my daughter likes it and has asked to see it a few times). I thought the whole "Star Wars Kid" phenomenon was more interesting. Or the lesser known but equally entertaining "Metallica Drummer!" from 1999 (although I can't for the life of me find a link to that actual video now).

But I do find it disheartening that "Numa Numa Guy" is no longer happy about the attention and won't talk to the press. He's an adult who seems to have some comedic talent. It's too bad he can't appreciate that people enjoy his performance, and it is obviously a performance. I'm not laughing at him, I'm laughing with him, right? (Ok, maybe both). The article says he works at Staples -- maybe that company should hire him to make a commercial.